My Fun Floral Tea Towels are available on spoonflower.com for making a nice set of four tea towels. They make a nice hostess gift or idea to brighten up someone's day! I'll update the calendar versions with the new year each November. I've made these up with the linen cotton canvas fabric. When you hem them it's best to use a mitered corner so the corners lay more flat. Here's a tutorial to help you!
1. If you’ve ordered a yard of tea towel fabric, cut the four designs apart. This is probably easiest with a rotary cutter and straight edge or grid. Cut the selvage edge off the fabric too so you have four towels with raw edges right to the edge of the printed designs.
2. Fold over and press 1/4” on all four sides. Fold once more, approximately 3/8”-1/2” and press well.
3. Unfold the last edge you just pressed, leaving the first edge folded over and revealing the folded line. You should be able to mark with a pencil the fold lines to where they intersect. At the corner, there will be a square shape. Fold that square shape down, into the wrong side of the fabric and make a crease. Open back up and mark with a pencil where the new crease was, at a diagonal where the lines intersected.
4. Fold the fabric, right sides together at the corner, making a triangular shape and pin. Sew along the drawn line, from edge to fold.
5. Trim corner piece and turn right side out. Push corner out to a nice sharp point with an object like scissor, screwdriver or pencil. Repeat folds and sewing on other three corners. Repress edges to prepare towels for sewing along all four edges.
6. Topstitch close the the edge on all four sides to finish the towel, pivoting in ditch at corners. Repeat steps with the other three towels.
If you'd like to make the towels a set and include a tag, download the Fun Floral Gift Tag for your label. Printing of this label/tag is for personal printing and gift-giving of your tea towels and not for mass printing and resale. Thanks!
Designer of colorful florals for Moda fabrics. Modern to transitional quilt designer. Illustrator, sewist, crafter.
I am proud to be a designer for Moda Fabrics!
Shop Robin's Designs
© Robin Pickens Inc. All rights reserved. No images may be reproduced without permission.